I often get messages from migrants asking this question.
Most of them have attended one of SMP 6 Success secrets for migrants’ seminars and they seek inputs on the next steps. Here they are:
- Get ready to leave your comfort zone. You will need to do things you never thought possible, like striking up a conversation with a perfect stranger or volunteering to work for free for some time to acquire Australian work experience. Every migrants needs to know that what worked in their home country probably won’t work in Australia. So, get ready to do things the Australian way.
- Understand the Australian job market. 80% of jobs are not advertised (this is called the hidden job market) and can only be accessed through networking. There are several networking organisations that are career specific (contact SMP for assistance on this). Attending networking events will connect you with people who will help you understand your career in Australia as well as how to go about your job search.
- Connect with an employment agency, as they are truly the best qualified to help you in your job search including helping you with mock interviews and resume writing.
- Find a mentor. This is very important because you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. New migrants always ask me, how could I find a mentor? My answer is, you go find yourself a mentor among your community groups, professional associations or faith associations that you belong to or research and find the company you believe is at the top of their game in your profession and start dialing!
- Volunteer! This is the best way to get Australian work experience! Go to www.volunteering.org.au).
I am not saying these are the only steps to take, but they will certainly be the top five when you arrive in Australia. So go for it and let me know how it works! Remember you can always contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on +61430209803 if you need assistance.